Monday, June 11, 2012

Peach and Cream Cheese Muffins


I have noticed recently that if I don't get in the kitchen and cook anything a few days in a row, I tend to get grouchy and stressed. It's only then do I realize how calming it is to cook a meal, or bake some cookies. Right now I really need to get cooking because the last few days have been kind of tough. I haven't been in the best of moods and I definitely need to change that. One thing that has helped calm me recently as well has been running. I have never been a runner, but I found a track very close to my house so I have been progressing nicely in my time and speed. My husband would be proud, he enjoys running a lot more than I do/did. 

Now to find myself some new recipes and get cooking. Good thing I have a day off coming up so I can spend all day in the kitchen. That's like a spa day for me. :)










Peach and Cream Cheese Muffins
adapted from cookinglight.com


Ingredients:
2/3 cup 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 cups fresh or frozen peaches, chopped*
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

*The original recipe called for raspberries but I had been craving peaches. Here you could use pretty much what ever you like. However I would suggest not thawing your fruit if you use frozen.

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350º
  2. Combine cream cheese and butter in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at high speed until well blended. Add sugar; beat until fluffy. Add vanilla, egg whites, and egg; beat well.
  3. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture and buttermilk to cream cheese mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Gently fold in fruit and walnuts. 
  4. Place 24 cupcake liners in muffin cups. Spoon batter evenly into liners. Baking at 350º for 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pans; cook on wire rack.
Makes 24 cupcakes.
Nutrition: (1 cupcake) Calories 142; Fat 4.7g; Cholesterol 19mg; Carb 22.6mg; Protein 2.7g; Fiber 1.1g

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...