Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Sun-dried Tomato & Goat Cheese Herbed Pizza


Finally got my day off, and I'm spending it in the kitchen. Stocking up on some Make-ahead English Muffin Breakfast Sandwiches. I am perfecting my technique so they will be even better. Today will definitely put me in a better mood to finish off this week, and this month! Next month I get a whole week with my favorite person. He is coming home on leave and I need to stock up on things he'll like and recipes I know he wants to try. I am one lucky girl because he likes to cook, maybe not as much as me, but when he gets in the kitchen it's always a fantastic meal. He is much better at just grabbing random ingredients and throwing them together. As for me, I like to follow a recipe, but I'm getting better at coming up with my own. This particular recipe was one I really wanted to try. I found a recipe kind of like the one I had in my head to help me out with the measurements, but the idea started in my little ol' brain. 

One thing about this recipe I was really excited for? I got to use my fresh herbs for the first time. I bought a pre-potted herb garden from Trader Joe's, my favorite grocery store.  Normally I am that person that kills plants, I just suck at keeping them alive. I was really nervous to start any kind of herb garden, but when I found that pot I decided to try it out. Well it's been almost 4 weeks now, and they are still thriving. I found a sweet little standing planter and replanted the herbs with some fresh potting mix. Every time I come home now I am greeted by my little herb garden! Now I am dying to get more herbs and maybe someday have a nice little garden growing in my backyard.



Brushing the entire dough, even the edges, keeps the pizza moist and gives it a beautiful golden color. Evidence below. :)



Pizza is one of the easiest meals to personalize. I didn't want to pack this pizza with toppings, but you are more than welcome to pile the cheese on, or even add any other kind of toppings you can think of!
Sun-dried Tomato & Goat Cheese Herbed Pizza 
adapted from foodnetwork magazine


Ingredients:
1 pound of refrigerated whole wheat pizza dough
olive oil
thyme, chopped
oregano, chopped
2 tablespoons julienned sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
2 oz crumbled goat cheese

Directions:

  1. Place a pizza stone or an inverted baking sheet on the lowest oven rack and preheat oven to 500ยบ.
  2. Stretch pizza dough on a floured surface to desired size.
  3. Remove pizza stone or sheet from oven. Carefully place dough on stone. Working quickly brush olive oil on pizza, covering it evenly, edges and all. Sprinkle with herbs, sun-dried tomatoes, and cheese.
  4. Place pizza in oven and bake until golden, about 10-15 minutes. Check at 10 minutes to make sure it doesn't burn. 
  5. Let pizza rest for 5 minutes on stone, then cut into 8 wedges. Serve alone, or with desired side.
Serves 4
Nutrition: (2 slices) Calories 356mg; Fat 15g; Carbs 51g; Cholesterol 8mg; Fiber 8g; Protein 8g

Broiled Parmesan Tomatoes
taste of home guilt free cooking cookbook

Ingredients:
3 large tomatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

Directions:
  1. Slice tomatoes in half. Using a small spoon, remove seeds. Place tomato halves on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Combine the oil, garlic and pepper. Brush over tomatoes. Sprinkle with basil.
  2. Broil about 6in from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until heath through. In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over tomatoes. Broil 1-2 minutes longer or until crumbs are lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings
Nutrition: (1 tomato half) Calories 55; Fat 3g; Cholesterol 1mg; Sodium 64mg; Carbs 6g; Fiber 1g; Protein 2g

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...